Saturday, July 18, 2009

A Very Loved Father and Husband



For my last 3 years in college, I babysat for a loving family with three sweet children, Emma, Sam, and Katie, 3 times a week. I became very close to the family and babysat occasionally for them at night once I started teaching. Last year, I got an email from the mom, Teresa, telling me her husband, has pancreatic cancer. I got to babysit for Emma, Katie, and Sam a couple of nights later. Peter (their dad) came in wearing a purple shirt and gave me a big hug! This past Thursday night I found out that Peter lost his battle with cancer. He fought a hard fight for almost a year and a half. Peter was a great dad- always playing with them, coaching sports, and participating in Indian Guides. Mom and I went by their house today and were able to see Teresa, Emma, Sam, and Katie. Teresa is a strong woman and a wonderful mom but I cannot begin to imagine what she is going through. I know this is not a typical post but this family has not left my mind since Thursday night! Please pray for Teresa, Emma (9 years old), Sam (8 years old), and Katie (5 years old), as they continue on without their husband/father.
Peter, you were a loving father and they will always remember you: your friends and family will be sure of it!

4 comments:

Janice Chapman Uhl said...

Hi Elise:
I just read your post and wanted to offer my condolences to you and that beautiful family. I know you never met her, but we lost my wonderful Mother to that horrible disease. I had never even heard of it until my family faced it. There are some great organizations funding research to find a cure. My favorite is Lustgarten.org and also Pancan.org.
I will keep them in my thoughts and prayers, and continue to pray for a cure.
I am sending you a Hug because I think you need one!

Anonymous said...

Hi Elise! I'm so sorry. I can't imagine how painful that must be for their family. I'll keep them and you in my prayers!

Love, Kate

Priscilla said...

Janice, Thank you for the note and the info on the research organizations. I'd like to contribute in Peter's memory. I know you still miss your mom, mine's been gone for 15 years and I still find myself picking up the phone to call her.

Frank and Beth Radcliff said...

Elise - what a difficult and sad story. I know you must have meant so much to this family and will be a part of the family memories the children have while their dad was still with them. much love - Beth