Monday, September 28, 2009

Virtual Book of Dream Contest


Emily, her dad (this is the only time I got to meet him), and her mom at our Valetine's Day presentation last year

Last year I had a student in my class named Emily. This little girl was smart, sweet, hard-working, and opinionated (in a good way)! Her dad was away in training to be a pilot in the military for most of her kindergarten and first grade year so she rarely saw him. She melted my heart and as the year went on, I became good friends with her mom as well. She moved schools for the beginning of 2nd grade so I do not get to see her anymore, but think about her all the time. Today I got an email from her mom.

Emily was chosen from hundreds of kids to be one of five finalists in a contest on Carnival.com She had to write a story about her dream and draw a picture. She wrote about what she would do if she was on Carnival's newest cruise line. Her dream was to send a video tape to her dad, who is now is Iraq until April, about her time on the ship! She is a fantastic writer and illustrator!

Carnival is also donating $25,000 in conjunction with the contest to St. Jude's Children's hospital. She is really excited about possibly winning the grand prize, a cruise out of NY on their newest ship! The winner is based on the number of votes her story gets. So I writing this to ask all of you to please go to Carnival Book of Dreams and vote for Emily. You have only until this Sunday, Oct. 4 so please vote for her! You have to register with your email address but that is all. It is very quick and simple. She is the youngest of the finalists! I am so very proud of her dedication, hard work, and love for her dad!

No comments: