Monday, October 15, 2012

I Heart Zambia

Zambia was absolutely amazing and I love every bit of it!  It is such a peaceful, calm, and safe country!  I could totally see myself living here (well, I would have to get a driver because I am not that asserative but I can make that work :).  Everyone is so kind and helpful!  I did not stick out or was stared at or was targeted.  I felt right at home!  I had an amazing time with the Mukenyas and Paul!  Carol and I spent a lot of time together and I cherish our late night takes and LOTS of giggles!  On my last night here, Carol and I had a blast doing gymnastics on  a mat... even Paul got in on the action. We took some videos on my phone so I will try and post them if I can figure that out.  Carol also brought out a stack of bills (each one is worth less than a penny) that we LOVED playing with.  We would throw the money up on each other and then Carol licked it and stuck it to Paul's forehead so we started doing that too!  We had some very fun and silly moments and I cherish those deeply!  Many people have asked what I did while I was there and I did everyday life with the Mukenyas... and I would have it no other way!  I loved being part of their everyday life!  I went with Steve to the hardware store and to pick up the girls from school.  I went with Carol to get her hair done (missed some of it because I fell asleep due to jet lag).  I went to the grocery store with Carol.  For my last night there, we went out to dinner with the family!  That was a somber night but great memories were made!  The Mukenyas went to Botswana a day earlier and came home hours later than me so Paul and I got to spend time together which was special.  For Chelsea's birthday, we surprised her by painting her bedroom purple!  That was so much fun buying all the supplies together and then painting it with Paul and two college students, Michael and Sophia.  We were so proud of ourselves (but Michael did most of the work and the hard, nitty gritty part) and were so excited to surprise Chelsea and the Mukenyas! I think what really made me fall in love with Zambia was the church!  They had such a big heart and were so giving!  When the Mukenyas were out of town, two couples had Paul and I over for dinner.  They were so kind and not scary whatsoever!  (But I did win the bet! :)  On my last night there, a single woman from the church came to visit... Rokia!  She is so sweet and so much fun!  We got to chat for a while and she even gave me her strappy black sandals!  I am glad we got to hang out before I left.  (I have pictures with her but they are on my phone.  My camera batteries died and I lost my charger in Africa so I hope to get my phone pictures and videos on the blog soon.) I look forward to visiting again real soon!

**Well Blogger decided to load all of my pictures in reverse order so scroll down to the bottom and work your way to the top to see what I did while in Zambia.**


Last night in Zambia

LOVED these purple trees all throughout Lusaka



The kids on the way to dinner

Big brother and little sister (these two are great friends)

These two have become best friends

Steve wanted me to take a grumpy man picture!  He does it well, Paul not so grumpy

Carol made us SPAGHETTI! 



Chelsea's purple finished room


Carol, please don't hate me for posting this! (We loved how we had on opposite colors down to our skin)

Now just where is that other shoe!

Grocery stores on Sunday

Audrey took us to the market so I could do some shopping


We went to Lloyd and Zemba's house Sunday afternoon for lunch turned dinner.  They have 3 sweet kids!

I taught her how to take her own picture!

Their daughter took this picture of their oldest and I


Their youngest clapping but not looking

Mango tree in their backyard



Ten billion dollar bill from Zimbabwe



Paul driving on the other side of the road! (He did amazing!) Paul said driving in Zambia is like dodgeball.. you try not to get hit!

No comments: