Thursday, December 16, 2010

Heidelburg and Rudesheim, Germany

Yesterday, was a travel day as we visited two cities in one day. Early that morning, we landed in Mannheim and took a bus to Heidelburg. In Heidelburg, we visited the Heidelburg castle.

Outside the castle was an arch that was built by the princess' husband overnight. She woke up on her birthday and she saw this arch outside her window.

This was a very old castle (almost in ruins) but in the wine cellar is the world's largest wine cask. It was huge and so cool- we even went on top of it.

Then back in town, our tour guide showed us the oldest cafe in Heidelburg.

After our tour of the castle, Aunt Jeanne and I got some hot chocolate to warm up.

Then we shopped for a bit and made it back to our bus (by skins of our teeth). During lunch on the ship, we started sailing to Rudesheim. Then around dinnertime, we docked and we headed out to dinner in town with some people from the ship. (It was a ship-sponsored excursion.) It was SOOO much fun! We had a delicious German dinner.

After dinner, we danced, paraded around the room, and took shots from glasses stuck to a board.


A great time was had by all! (Oh, and I have not drunk that much alcohol since my 21st birthday!)

After dinner, we came home and chatted with our friends (Bill and Susan from the last post) and then headed to bed.

I am so excited for all of you in NC that got SNOW today!

2 comments:

Priscilla said...

The shot glasses look fun...BUT the hot chocolate has my vote...it looks so rich...and I guess both would keep me warm...probably the shots would keep me warmer longer.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I know what I want for my 30th birthday...please build a beautiful arch outside my window! :) What a cool story!